This is definitely at the top of the list of most popular dinners in my house. You always know when everyone is really enjoying their food at our kitchen table because nobody speaks – there is blissful silence for about fifteen minutes! On the plus side they are so easy to prepare and in just over half an hour you can be dishing them onto plates. Fantastic! For this very reason I normally opt for them if I am stuck for time or a bit tired and don’t fancy spending over an hour in the kitchen. Trust me they are delicious and will never let you down!
Note: A lot of recipes for enchiladas use cumin but I choose to omit it because my two girls don’t like too much spice. But if you prefer spicy then you can add a sprinkling to your mixture.
Prep. Time: 20 mins
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 large tblsp flour
1 can chopped tomatoes
A handful mushrooms, sliced
1/2 courgette, sliced and finely chopped
1/2 green, 1/2 red, 1/2 yellow pepper, finely chopped
4 tortilla wraps
100 g Cheddar cheese, grated
Oregano, to season
Black pepper, to season
1. Gently fry the onion and crushed garlic in a non-stick pan over a medium heat for a few minutes. Make sure to keep the heat down to avoid the garlic burning.
2. Stir in the flour until it coats the onions and garlic. Again do not keep them on the heat for too long. Remove if necessary and stir. (The flour helps to thicken the sauce).
3. Return to the heat and add in the can of chopped tomatoes and stir.
4. At this stage you can begin to add your mixed peppers, courgettes and mushrooms (and any other vegetable for that matter if you wish!).
5. Add in half of your grated cheese and continue to stir.
6. Season well with oregano, black pepper and salt if you wish (Personally I don’t use a lot of salt in my cooking, I try to avoid it if I can).
7. Allow to simmer for 10 – 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
8. When ready, grab your tortilla wraps and begin to fill. Spoon into the middle of the wrap (just enough to fill the centre) and fold over and at both ends to stop the sauce from leaking out.
9. Line them up in your oven tray side by side and when ready pour over the remaining sauce until they are fully covered.
10. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over them and bake in the oven at 180 ̊ C / 350 ̊ F / Gas mark 4 for 15 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbling on top.
11. Serve with rice and enjoy! Yum Yum Yum!!